Concrete Resurfacing: TC System
Life Deck Specialty Coatings TC System is an acrylic based cement overlay designed to enhance walkways, driveways, pool patios, and/or most cement substrates. The TC System can also be applied over the Life Deck Specialty Coatings AL Waterproofing System and Life Deck Specialty Coatings MC Waterproofing Systems.
Click Here For Specification
What is the Texture Concrete System?:
Texture Concrete Overlay is a cost-effective, cementitious and acrylic material formulated to cover existing concrete surfaces. It changes smooth concrete into a very decorative and safe textured finish with numerous color coatings and texture options.
Uses of Texture Concrete System:
The Texture Concrete Overlay systems main function is to cover concrete that is aesthetically unattractive. It is a low cost, easy to apply and very durable system. Designed for driveways, walks, patios, garage floors and pool decks. Texture Concrete Overlay can be installed in both the commercial and home environment.
Advantages In Using Textured Concrete:
- Fast Drying
- Anti Skid Finish
- Unlimited Colors
- No solvents
- Variety of textures
Inspection of the Texture Concrete System:
- Concrete must be clean, dry and free of grease, paint, oil, dust or curing agents. It should have a rough broom finish or be porous and feel like 30 grit sand paper.
- Drainage problems or puddling must be corrected prior to the installation of Texture Concrete Overlay.
Deck Preparation on the Texture Concrete System:
- Clean the concrete surface with an acid wash, then neutralize with baking soda or a weak non-sudsing ammonia solution. Mix 1 pound baking soda to 1 gallon water or mix 1 cup ammonia to 1 gallon water. Follow with at least 3000 psi water blast to rough it up.
- Sand blasting or bead blasting may be necessary if the concrete surface has paint or other foreign material on the surface.
- Pressure wash the surface to remove all debris.
- Primer Coating Requirements: In a clean, dry container, mix four parts water with one part LD-81 and apply at a rate of 200-300 square feet per gallon. Roll or spray this Texture Concrete Overlay primer over the area to be textured. Life Deck’s 25 Series may also be used as a prime coat.
How to apply the Slurry Coat on the Texture Concrete System:
- After primer is dry, mix the slurry coat by combining one bag of LD-1 cement with one gallon of LD-81 acrylic and up to one quart of water. Trowel the slurry mix over the surface to achieve a smooth finish. Coverage of the slurry coat is approximately 100-150 square feet per batch. Using a brush, wet with water, feather all outside edges, seams and expansion joints. After surface is dry, scrape or grind off any ridges or trowel marks.
How to apply the Texture Coat for TC System:
- Combine bag of Life Deck LD-3 cement with one gallon of Life Deck LD-81 acrylic and mix thoroughly with a low rpm drill motor. Add up to two quarts of water to achieve the desired consistency.
- Using an acoustical hopper gun, spray the texture onto the deck with a circular motion to achieve approximately 70% coverage at a rate of about 150 square feet per batch. If the hopper gun has orifice settings, adjust it to the largest setting. Adjust the air pressure from the switch on the gun (The pressure should be just enough to cause the LD-3 cement to sputter out to about 12 to 15 inches and fall to the ground. Maintain a vigorous circular motion with the hopper gun to keep the LD-3 cement “fluid” in the hopper gun. Don’t allow the cement to dry in the hopper gun).
- After a few moments, depending on the temperature, the texture must be “knocked down” using a 20” x 5” rounded pool trowel for best results. To avoid making impressions, the applicator should wear baseball spikes. Wipe trowel clean with a wet rag as needed.
- Spray continuously, stopping only at seams or joints
- Do a small sample area before you begin. If you are unsatisfied with the results, scrape off immediately and re-spray
Top Coat 10 Series or 28 Series:
- Mix all containers of the Life Deck 10 Series or 28 Series Top Coat to insure a consistent color.
- Product may be thinned by adding 1 pint of water per gallon to avoid streaks, especially in hot weather.
- Roll two thin applications of Life Deck Top Coat using a 3/4” roller at a rate of 200-300 square feet per gallon.
- Spread the Top Coat in two directions to achieve a uniform finish. Coverage will vary according to texture.
- For small areas or in locations with cool temperatures, one coat of Top Coat at 100-150 per gallon may be applied
- Allow 4 to 6 hours drying time before permitting light pedestrian traffic. For best results, allow to cure 24 hours before direct traffic is permitted. Allow an additional 24 hours before heavy objects are placed on the surface.